Phnom Penh offers an wide selection of restaurant and dining venues staring from fine Asian (Khmer, Thai, India, vietnam,…) and European and French restaurants to American style bar & grills and budget noodle & rice shops. But the emphasis is of course on Cambodian (Khmer) food and Phnom Penh is an ideal place to experience an authentic Cambodian meal.
Cambodian (khmer) food is similar to other Southeast Asian foods, the most popular dishes such as Khmer curries, Amok. Khmer foods is cooked with the most delicately spiced than other bordering food and is rarely spicy hot or sweet. The ‘must-try’ dish for visitors is Amok or Curry – a yellow coconut curry, traditionally cooked and served in a fresh coconut and banana leave.
Chinese restaurants are very popular. The food is well well presented and served if you are in budget-priced dumpling shops strung along Street 136 near Phsar Thmey to top-end restaurants such as Yi Sang restaurant.
Western dishesare well-represented such as pizzerias, home-cooked British and American food, fine German, Italian and especially French restaurants. Given Cambodia’s long relationship with Gallic gastronomic traditions, it is no surprise in Phnom Penh’s finest and most interesting dining venues are French. Most restaurant are scatered in towns and river front and beoung keng kang. The following is recommended restaurant that most people talk about:
- An Nam -Restaurant: Vietnamese Food : Emphasis on central Vietnamese cuisine. Perfectly air conditioned, nicely decorated indoor seating. Extensive menu in Vietnamese, French and English. Agreeable surroundings. Superior preparation and presentation. Moderately priced. French, English, Vietnamese spoken.
Address: #118SD, Sothearos (next to the Hong Kong Center)
Opening Time: 7:00AM – 11:00PM
- Bopha Phnom Penh Titanic Restaurant: Khmer and Western Cuisine: Stylish, breezy riverside terrace provides a Titanic sweeping view of the peaceful river scenery, perfect to escape the city rush. Tasty Cambodian and Western dishes complemented by stylish presentation. Full bar, extensive cocktail menu and wine list. Also air-con seating and bar with live music from 9:00PM everyday. (See Bar listings) Located right next to the Phnom Penh ferry dock and opposite a Siem Reap bus station, providing and ideal sanctuary before or after your bus/ferry trip. Traveler’s set menu $4.90 including one welcome drink.
Address: Sisowath Quay (On the riverfront next to the ferry port)
Opening Time: 6:00AM – Late
- Bougainvillier: Restaurant: Royal Khmer and French Tropical Cuisine
Riverfront hotel restaurant serving fine French fare served in a comfortable, stylish air-conditioned setting. Terrace curbside seating with a view of the riverfront also available. Check the board for specials. Beer and wine selection.
Address: #277G, Sisowath Quay
Opening Time: 7:00AM – 11:00PM
- Foreign Correspondents Club of Cambodia: Bar/Restaurant: International. This is the famous FCC – still as much a journalist’s meeting place as a popular tourist/expat bar and restaurant. Located on the second floor of a beautiful old Colonial era building, the FCC’s open balcony provides a spectacular, sweeping view of the Tonle Sap and Mekong Rivers. The FCC kitchen offers a good selection of nicely prepared contemporary, moderne, and mainstream western dishes as well as some of the best wood-fired oven pizza in town. Photo shows and exhibitions. Delivery. Bookshop. Fresco Delicatessen on the ground floor. Orange River boutique around the corner.
Address: #363, Sisowath Quay
Opening Time: 7:00AM – 12:00mid
- Friends (Mith Samlanh): Restaurant: International : Cheerful tapas restaurant run as part of a program to teach street youth marketable skills. Khmer and western snacks, salads, weekly specials. Try the famous exotic fruit shake. Frozen margaritas and daiquiris. Open 7 days a week. Kitchen closes at 9PM. 50m from the entrance to the National Museum.
Address: #215, Street 13 (Near the National Museum)
Opening Time: 11:00AM – 11:00PM
- K-West: Restaurant: International : Stylish, comfortable riverfront restaurant and bar on the ground floor of the Amanjaya Hotel. Serving a wide range of contemporary Asian and European cuisine at moderate prices. The décor is a stylish and relaxed fusion with hardwood floors and modern art around the walls – perfect for all occasions at all times of day and night. Full bar. Cocktails. Wine selection. Visa/MC/AMEX
Address: #1, Street 154, Sisowath Quay
Opening Time: 6:00AM – 11:00PM
- Lemongrass: Restaurant: Thai/Khmer
Authentic classical Thai food and Khmer dishes at reasonable prices. Shop house sized restaurant with pleasant indoor seating. Fairly large selection of dishes. Very good preparation. Good selection of vegetarian offerings. Good reviews from patrons. Located on Street 130 just off the riverfront.
Address: #14, Street 130
Opening Time: 10:00AM – 10:00PMMalis Restaurant: Restaurant: Khmer : Malis is Phnom Penh’s superlative Cambodian dining experience. Artfully prepared contemporary and traditional Khmer cuisine from the kitchen of the renowned Cambodian chef Luu Meng, served in stylish, elegant surroundings of Angkorian-inspired pools, gardens and architecture. Full bar, cocktails, extensive wine cellar. Terrace garden, air-conditioned and private dining available. Visa/MC/AMEX
- Address: #136, Norodom
Opening Time: 6:00AM – 11:00PM
Pacharan: Restaurant: Spanish : Wonderful setting on the first floor of a classic French colonial building overlooking the riverfront next to the Royal Palace. Pacharan offers a sophisticated ambiance and an excellent selection of finely prepared Spanish tapas. Full bar featuring a array of Spanish spirits and liquors. Happy hour 5-7 daily. Fully air-conditioned.
- Address: #389E1, Sisowath Quay (On the riverfront) Opening Time: 11:00AM – 11:00PMRiverhouse: Restaurant: Mediterranean : One of the nicest restaurants on the riverside. Excellent reviews. Indoor and a/c seating with tasteful decor, or comfortable sidewalk tables. Mediterranean and Royal Khmer cuisine. Very nice tapas. Upstairs bar/lounge with an great view overlooking the river. French chef. Delivery. Catering.