If you want to buy souvenirs, silks, handicrafts, textiles and other contemporary art work. Siem Reap is an excellent place to explore. Today, there are lot of new shops, galleries and boutiques, offering a varied selection of quality handicrafts and silks as well as original artistic creations in a variety of media in addition to tradition shopping venues.
Where to buy
- Siem Reap Art Center : become one of the ‘must’ night shopping destinations for shoppers. Found in the famous areas Old Market (Psar Chas) and pub street, the place is always busy and chaotic with all club, restaurants, boutique, gallery, souvenir shop and lots of foreign tourists. SAC offer high and variety of the quality and prices of products and items sold are about as real and trustworthy as you can find here in Siem Reap. The market seem to complement each other well, but remember not to be fooled by first impressions and bargain harder. Click Here to see more…
- Angkor Night Market, Siem Reap night Market off Sivatha. The new night market offer an interesting after hours shopping venue.
- Boutique and Galleries: you can also can experiences Individual little boutiques, art and photo galleries are scattered across the town, though there is a concentration of places in the Old Market area. The boutiques tend to offer higher quality, more unique and sophisticated selections of items than the Old and night market – some focusing on Cambodian silks and tailoring, others on high quality handicrafts, check out The Arthouse Gallery at The Warehouse and the The Arts Lounge at Hotel de la Paix, both featuring regularly changing exhibits featuring the works of contemporary Cambodian artists.
- Phsar Chas (the Old Market),one of Siem Reap’s largest traditional market offers the largest selection of souvenirs in town. Actually, this market is really a ‘must visit’ for buying experience for the unique, colorful, local shopping experience selling souvenirs as well as the best selection of handicrafts and curios, including such items as traditional silverwork, silks, baskets, statuary, carvings and traditional musical instruments.
- NGO-based crafts: Asian-inspired photographic and artistic creations or specialty items producted by international NGO and organization supporting the poor and HIV People.
- Local Products and Spices:there are variety of local shopw selling local candles, Cambodian spices, coffee and Teas. In addition to the listed galleries
What to buy
- Cambodian Silk Products: it is one of traveler shopping goodies. Cambodian silks has been known as prized by silk collectors in the world. Most of the silk products available in Cambodia is hand-loomed using the traditional ikat method of dying the threads and looming in the patterns. Both raw and fine silks are available in the form of bolts, sarongs, clothing and various handicrafts. Cambodian silk is available at the – Old Market and Angkor Market, Siem Reap Market and new one is Siem Reap Art Center, silk shops and boutiques across town, many specializing in silk creations such as tailored Asian and Euro-Asian fashions, fashion accessories and soft furnishings.
- Silverwork : there are several place to sell silver, especially in Market. Silver betel containers are popular, traditional souvenirs. The pounded silver containers are often shaped like animals, fruits and vegetables, and were originally used in ceremonial and everyday life. Nowadays, silver betel containers are made primarily for sale as souvenirs but are still hand crafted using traditional techniques and styles. Available at the traditional markets, most souvenir shops and at some jewelry stores scattered in the town.
- Statues and Carvings: What is special for Statues and carvings? Khmer Architect has very skilled at making status and carving product available for tourist to buy. Status and carving is considered as one of traditional subjects, often copies of Angkorian era works as well as Buddha’s and various type of Hindu gods and personages, are available in stone, wood, brown, iron and brass. Statues make for relatively heavy, bulky souvenirs but are still very popular because of their beauty and artistic value. The replica of an Angkorian era bust of Jayavarman VII with its graceful lines and peaceful smile is truly captivating and is perhaps the most popular piece.
- Art Product: There are many kind of art product available to buy. Over the last couple of years Cambodia’s art scene has been interested and sudden increase, particularly in the fashionable arts as a new generation of Khmer artists takes the fore. The silk, art and furniture boutiques available in Old market, Angkor Market, Siem Reap night market.
- Gems: Cambodia has its own originally gem which has been renowned since 60 decades. in Cambodia , particularly in the area of Pailin, is a fertile source of colored stones, particularly sapphires and rubies. In addition to the listed jewelers, gem dealers can be found at the Galleries and Boutiuqe located along Airport Road and Road to AngkorWat and some in Old market. Know something about gems and/or know your jeweler before spending much money.