Shopping in Cambodia is the most popular tour activity right now. If you want to buy souvenirs, silks, handicrafts, textiles and other contemporary art work. Phnom Penh, Siem Reap is an excellent place to explore. Today, there are lot of new shops, galleries and boutiques, offering a varied selection of quality handicrafts and silks as well as original artistic creations in a variety of media in addition to tradition shopping venues.
What to Buy
- Cambodian Silk Products: it is one of traveler shopping goodies. Cambodian silks has been known as prized by silk collectors in the world. Most of the silk products available in Cambodia is hand-loomed using the traditional ikat method of dying the threads and looming in the patterns. Both raw and fine silks are available in the form of bolts, sarongs, clothing and various handicrafts. Cambodian silk is available at the – Old Market and Angkor Market, Siem Reap Market and new one is Siem Reap Art Center, silk shops and boutiques across town, many specializing in silk creations such as tailored Asian and Euro-Asian fashions, fashion accessories and soft furnishings.
- Silverwork : there are several place to sell silver, especially in Market. Silver betel containers are popular, traditional souvenirs. The pounded silver containers are often shaped like animals, fruits and vegetables, and were originally used in ceremonial and everyday life. Nowadays, silver betel containers are made primarily for sale as souvenirs but are still hand crafted using traditional techniques and styles. Available at the traditional markets, most souvenir shops and at some jewelry stores scattered in the town.
- Statues and Carvings: What is special for Statues and carvings? Khmer Architect has very skilled at making status and carving product available for tourist to buy. Status and carving is considered as one of traditional subjects, often copies of Angkorian era works as well as Buddha’s and various type of Hindu gods and personages, are available in stone, wood, brown, iron and brass. Statues make for relatively heavy, bulky souvenirs but are still very popular because of their beauty and artistic value. The replica of an Angkorian era bust of Jayavarman VII with its graceful lines and peaceful smile is truly captivating and is perhaps the most popular piece.
- Art Product: There are many kind of art product available to buy. Over the last couple of years Cambodia’s art scene has been interested and sudden increase, particularly in the fashionable arts as a new generation of Khmer artists takes the fore. The silk, art and furniture boutiques available in Old market, Angkor Market, Siem Reap night market.
- Gems: Cambodia has its own originally gem which has been renowned since 60 decades. in Cambodia , particularly in the area of Pailin, is a fertile source of colored stones, particularly sapphires and rubies. In addition to the listed jewelers, gem dealers can be found at the Galleries and Boutiuqe located along Airport Road and Road to AngkorWat and some in Old market. Know something about gems and/or know your jeweler before spending much money.